Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Jessica Jones S2 Review: Part 1 - Predictions

So I decided to review Marvel's Jessica Jones' Season 2.

The review will happen in 3 parts:

1. My predictions prior to watching the season and how wrong or right I was about them.
This part will have little to no spoilers.

2. My thoughts on the actual season.
There will be loads of spoilers here

and finally, 3. My thoughts on how the season could have been improved.
There will be some spoilers here as well.

So let's start with predictions:

1. Since the first season was a man vs man type of story (well, woman vs man, technically), I thought the second season would be (wo)man vs organization.

Accuracy: 45%

Jessica against IGH was a big part of the season, but not exactly in the way that I thought. I thought IGH was going to be more like The Company in Heroes, but it's really not. It was a very small organization to begin with, and once Jessica starts her investigation of them, most people either turn up dead or just aren't really at fault for anything that happened or didn't know much.

2. The person clapping in the trailer was Kilgrave. 
A part of me thought he might be alive somehow, but my actual prediction was that it was just a flashback / dream sequence/ some sort of an illusion. 

Accuracy: 100% 

I don't want to give too much away, but yeah, I was pretty on the money about that one.

3. Jessica would be forced to face some of her past trauma that wasn't directly linked to Kilgrave (about her family, the experiments done on her etc.). The anger management / therapy of some sorts would play a big role in the season.

Accuracy: 30%

We go into it a little bit, and the scene from the trailer is in the actual season, but it's not nearly as big of a part of it as I thought and hoped it was going to be. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think that Jessica would magically transform into a perfectly healthy person by the end of the season, but I was hoping she would make at least a couple of emotional breakthroughs. And I guess she does, in a way, but it was not as satisfying as I hoped it would be. And it didn't affect her relationships with the characters I (and I think most people) cared about, instead it was about a character that I didn't care for that much to begin with.

4. Cheng was going to start out as Jessica's enemy/rival, but would somehow get wrapped in the main plot, become her unwilling sidekick, and they would eventually develop a romance, in the spirit of the enemies-to-lovers trope.

Accuracy: 15% 

I was only right about the first part. They don't even become friends by the end of the season.

5. The season would go into Jessica's biological family and her history before Kilgrave. 

Accuracy: 80%

I mean, it does, definitely, just not exactly in the way I thought? This one is hard to explain, because I don't know what I thought or hoped for exactly. And it also ties in with the therapy one here, which I was wrong about, so there's that.

6. The ending would be more satisfying than the last time.

Accuracy: 55%

Well, it was and it wasn't. It is at the very least hinting at a possible happiness in Jessica's future, unlike last time where the conclusion to the Kilgrave arc was a relief that she was rid of him, but at the same time not really being sure about her future/not feeling too good about it. So that part was good. But it also leaves two of Jessica's more important (in my opinion) relationships still unresolved. So while it's nice to see Jessica be a little happy, it's also isn't nice to know she's in a bad place with her family.








No comments:

Post a Comment