Monday, February 26, 2018

Doctor Who 1.06 - Dalek

Overall opinion: This is my favorite episode so far, by a mile. Everything about this episode worked, just everything. 10/10

The Doctor: For the first time we really get to see The Doctor and the way he deals with his grief and anger about the Time War, and it's great! It's so deep and emotional and he feels so much and the "you would make a good Dalek," line, oh man.

Rose: This is by far my favorite Rose episode so far too. Probably because she doesn't have too much screen time, and the time she has is well spent. She's empathetic and scared and then empathetic again. It's really good.

Side characters: Van Statten was a jerk, who got what he deserved. Adam is cute and I'm glad he'll be joining the Doctor and Rose next time.

Villain: Oh, man we get our first look at the Daleks in New Who and it's brilliant!

Like I said, when I first started watching the show I didn't know much about it, so  I had no idea what the Daleks even were. And as an introduction to them, this episode was perfect! So far I'd never feared or been creeped out by a DW villain, but man that this thing was relentless! And then when it realized it was changing, it was beautiful and poetic. I really feel like this episode genuinely conveys most everything you need to know about the Daleks.

Moral/Message: Not sure if this episode has a moral per se, but the message of it is very powerful and man, that ending. That was something, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment